Austin Immigration Attorney

For help with
immigration law

Contact Us

Law Office of William Jang, PLLC
314 E Highland Mall Blvd #406
AustinTX  78752
(512) 323-2333

FB2B – Family Based Immigration for Unmarried Sons and Daughters (21 years or older) of Permanent Residents

Basic Requirements:

The second family-sponsored preference is set aside for two groups.  Preference Group 2B includes unmarried sons and daughters (individuals who are 21 years old or older) of permanent residents (green card holders).     The U.S. Permanent Resident may sponsor their unmarried sons and daughters for green cards under this preference category.   The term “unmarried” includes individuals who were never married and divorced and widowed individuals.  The second preference category is assigned 114,200 annual visas of which sub-preference category B is allotted 23%.  Unfortunately due to this limit, there is a waiting list for this preference category.  The waiting time fluctuates.  Unmarried sons and daughters of U.S. Permanent Residents from most countries should expect to wait about eight years after filing the first petition.   Individuals from Mexico, Dominican Republic, Philippines, China and India may have to wait even longer.

Family Members:

Spouse and children (under 21 and not married) of the unmarried sons and daughters of U.S. Permanent Residents are eligible to obtain derivative permanent resident status (green card) when the unmarried son or daughter of the U.S. Permanent Resident obtains their green card.  They are allowed to accompany the unmarried son or daughter and remain in the United States.

Application Process:

The application process for this preference category is done to two steps.  First Step involves the Permanent Resident parent petitioning the unmarried son or daughter.  When this petition is filed, the US CIS will issue a priority date.   Once the priority date is reached, signaling that a visa is available for this category, the unmarried son or daughter (and their immediate family) may go through the second step.  If the unmarried son or daughter is legally in the United States, they may adjust their status.   If the unmarried son or daughter is outside of the United States, they would apply through consular processing.


The following is the attorney’s fee that the Law Office of William Jang, PLLC charges for a typical case of this type when filed in the United States at the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (US CIS) (please read the disclaimer on this page) and the filing fee currently charged by US Citizenship and Immigration Service (US CIS):
[Step 1]

  • $   750.00 attorney’s fees for the immigration petition.
  • $   420.00 US CIS filing fee for the immigration petition.

[Step 2]*

  • $1,500.00 attorney’s fees per immediate family for adjustment of status.
  • $1,070.00 per each person ($635.00 for each person under 14 years of age if applying with parent)

* The price quoted above is for Adjustment of Status for individuals already in the United States   If the applicant is outside of United States different fees will be applicable.


The Law Office of William Jang, PLLC has extensive experience representing family members of U.S. Citizens and U.S. Permanent Residents obtain green cards.  Please see a sample of approved cases.

What do we need to get started?

Information and Documents needed for FB2B – Unmarried Sons and Daughters of Permanent Residents

Sample Retainer Agreement

home  |  about  |  services  |  fees  |  articles  |  testimonials  |  faqs  |  blog  |  contact  |  sitemap  |  Log in
Law Office of William Jang, PLLC | One Highland Center | 314 E Highland Mall Blvd #406 | Austin, TX 78752 | (512) 323-2333 |
© 2010 Law Office of William Jang, PLLC