Austin Immigration Attorney

For help with
immigration law

Contact Us

Law Office of William Jang, PLLC
314 E Highland Mall Blvd #406
AustinTX  78752
(512) 323-2333

F-1 Visa/Status – Student

The colleges and universities in the United States are among the leading educational institutions in the world. The academic rigor, unparalleled facilities, and advanced research that are part of both graduate and undergraduate programs at these schools are attractive to students here and abroad. For foreign students wishing to pursue a degree in the United States, it is necessary to obtain F-1 visa/status, which permits a student who meets certain qualifications to remain in the country for the duration of his or her degree program.

To limit the likelihood that a minor procedural error will interfere with your educational plans, you need to consult with a skilled and experienced immigration attorney who can help you throughout the entire process. Contact an Austin immigration lawyer of the Law Office of William Jang, PLLC at 512-323-2333 today to begin taking the appropriate steps for your future.

Basic Requirements:

F-1 Visa/Status is available for students intending to engage in academic studies in the United States. The individual must be enrolled for a “full course of study” in an academic education program (and not vocational type program) in a school approved for the attendance of foreign students. Such schools will have authority from the Department of Homeland Security to issue Form I-20. The individual must be proficient in English or must be enrolled in English language courses. The individual must also comply with restrictions on pursuing a course of study at a public school. Individuals in F-1 status may not, without prior approval, engage in employment in the United States. In addition, the individual: must have sufficient funds available to support themselves for the entire period of study, must maintain a residence abroad, and must intend to depart the U.S. upon completion of their studies.

Duration of Stay:

Individuals who enter in the F-1 status are not given a definite time period of stay in the United States. Instead, they are permitted to remain in the United States for the “Duration of Status”. It means that a student remains in valid status during enrollment and attendance of their approved academic programs.

Family Members:

Spouses and children (under 21 and not married) are eligible to obtain F-2 derivative status. They are allowed to accompany the F-1 Student and remain in the United States. Children holding F-2 derivative status may also attend elementary or secondary schools. Individuals with F-2 status cannot work.


The following is the attorney’s fee that the Law Office of William Jang, PLLC charges for an extension of this status when filed in the United States at the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (US CIS) (please read the disclaimer at the top of this page) and the filing fee currently charged by US Citizenship and Immigration Service (US CIS):

  • $2,000.00 attorney’s fees for the non-immigration application
  • $290.00 US CIS filing fee
  • $200.00 Student and Exchange Visitor Information System) SEVIS Fee


The Law Office of William Jang, PLLC has extensive experience representing clients to obtain F-1 status.

Please see a sample of approved cases.

What do we need to get started?

Information and Document Needed for F-1

If not in US, Additional Information and Document Needed for F Visa Application (at a Consulate Office)

Sample Retainer Agreement

Contact Us

Whether your studies will take you to Austin or elsewhere in the United States, we can help you to get there. Contact Austin immigration lawyer, William Jang, of the Law Office of William Jang, PLLC, at 512-323-2333 for the assistance you need.

home  |  about  |  services  |  fees  |  articles  |  testimonials  |  faqs  |  blog  |  contact  |  sitemap  |  Log in
Law Office of William Jang, PLLC | One Highland Center | 314 E Highland Mall Blvd #406 | Austin, TX 78752 | (512) 323-2333 |
© 2010 Law Office of William Jang, PLLC