Austin Immigration Attorney

For help with
immigration law

Contact Us

Law Office of William Jang, PLLC
314 E Highland Mall Blvd #406
AustinTX  78752
(512) 323-2333

What to Know If You Are a Family Member of a B-1 Visa Holder

What to Know If You Are a Family Member of a B-1 Visa Holder

So one of your family members is an employee or business owner traveling to the United States to conduct some business and they want you to accompany or come visit them. They are traveling on a B-1 visa, but what does that mean for you? The process of requesting and waiting to receive a U.S. visa is stressful and complex. A few of the facts below may answer some of the questions you have about the visa application process.

  • Do family members of a B-1 visa holder also receive B-1 visas?

    If you are a dependent or immediate member of a B-1 holder’s family, you may be able to receive a visa that allows you to accompany the B-1 holder. However, you will not be receiving a B-1 visa. Instead, the visa suited for your needs would be the short-term US visitor visa or tourist visa, known as the B-2 visa.

  • Will family members automatically be granted this visa?

    No, family members will not be granted this visa automatically. The process of a B-1 holder’s family member getting a B-2 visa is the same as it would be for any other tourist visa applicant. You will still have to complete the application form, have a valid passport, pay the fees, and attend the visa interview.

  • Will having a B-1 visa holder as a family member help my chances of getting a B-2 visa?

    You can apply for a B-2 visa with our without having a B-1 holder as a family member. When you do have a family member that is in or is travelling to the U.S. on a B-1 visa, you should include it in your application. Some documents are not required for applying but may be helpful in the interview process. These documents prove you have ties to the B-1 visa holder and that your primary purpose for traveling to the U.S. is to be with them or visit them. These documents include:

    • Copy of the B-1 visa holder’s passport and visa
    • Letter stating the B-1 holder wants you to visit or accompany them on the trip
    • Letter from the B-1 holder requesting a visa for you
    • Statement that shows the B-1 holder or the company they are working for is going to fund the entire trip
    • Letter from the B-1 holder’s company supporting and requesting the visa for you

While none of these documents are necessary for applying, they may be helpful in proving your intentions during the visa interview.

If you or someone you love is seeking a visa to accompany a B-1 visa holder to the United States, contact the immigration attorneys at the [firm-name]. Our team is well versed in visa applications and we can tell you everything you need to know about the application process. We can also help you get the correct documents and information you need to apply. The process of getting a visa is often tricky, but you do not have to go through it alone. To get help with your United States visa application, contact our office at [phone-number].

home  |  about  |  services  |  fees  |  articles  |  testimonials  |  faqs  |  blog  |  contact  |  sitemap  |  Log in
Law Office of William Jang, PLLC | One Highland Center | 314 E Highland Mall Blvd #406 | Austin, TX 78752 | (512) 323-2333 |
© 2010 Law Office of William Jang, PLLC