Austin Immigration Attorney

Proposed Changes to I-601 Waiver

Posted on February 24th, 2012 No Comments

Changes Proposed to I-601 Waiver Program

Individuals currently living illegally in the United States face a difficult situation when trying to apply for permanent residency status. After spending at least one year in the United States unlawfully, an automatic 10 year bar to re-entry comes into effect if the individual leaves the country. However, in order to apply for permanent residency status, it is necessary to leave the country to file the application. Fortunately, proposed rule changes from the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services may help improve this situation.

The proposal, which applies to those who can demonstrate extreme hardship to an immediate relative who is a U.S. citizen (I.e., spouse, parent, or child), would allow individuals in this difficult situation to apply for an I-610 waiver to this bar and be notified of the decision before choosing to leave the country. If approved, this policy will significantly reduce the risk of leaving the country to apply for permanent residency.

 Contact Us

Immigrating to the United States can be a complicated, confusing process to undergo on your own. If you or a loved one are attempting to immigrate to the United States, an experienced legal professional can significantly improve your odds of success. Contact the Austin immigration lawyers at the Law Office of William Jang, PLLC, at 512-323-2333 today to speak with a qualified member of our legal team about your situation and learn more about how we can help.

Leave a Reply

home  |  about  |  services  |  fees  |  articles  |  testimonials  |  faqs  |  blog  |  contact  |  sitemap  |  Log in
Law Office of William Jang, PLLC | One Highland Center | 314 E Highland Mall Blvd #406 | Austin, TX 78752 | (512) 323-2333 | William Jang +
© 2010 Law Office of William Jang, PLLC